A casino and hotel complex outside of the Philippine capital of Manila was placed on lockdown early Friday local time, after reports of gunfire and acrid smoke coming from inside the popular resort.
Local news outlet ABS-CBN and social media users captured panicked people fleeing Resorts World Manila in Pasay City. Ambulances took people away and witnesses told ABS-CBN that there were “quite a few injuries.”
The Philippine Red Cross said it had transported three people from the scene to local hospitals and units were on site to provide first aid.
Other witnesses told police that the gunmen were wearing masks and black shirts, according to ABS-CBN. One man’s face was seen covered in soot.
Officials did not comment on the nature of the incident, and NBC News could not immediately confirm reports about the perpetrators and injuries.
On Twitter, Resorts World Manila said the multi-level complex, which includes a mall and performing arts theater, was on lockdown and that “the Company is working closely with the Philippine National Police to ensure that all guests and employees are safe.”
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tweeted that President Donald Trump was being updated on the situation.
The chaos outside Manila comes as Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte deals with the growing threat of extremism in the island nation’s south.
Duterte declared martial law across the southern region last week in response to ISIS-linked militants taking control of the Muslim-majority city of Marawi, where Philippine troops were trying to capture their leader.
Duterte has warned that rebel fighters could try to advance northward as they push their agenda of an independent Islamic state and he may seek to widen martial law across the entire country.
This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.